|Vince Young is learning the most valuable lesson in life, "Respect the game!"|
The Georgia Dome was rocking as Michael Vick returned to the city that once drafted him with the first pick of the 2001 NFL draft. The fans wore the infamous # 7 jersey's to show their support. However, their allegiance was still with the Dirty Bird. Their support of Vick couldn't protect him from feeling the affects of a concussion he suffered in the third quarter of the Eagles' 35-31 loss Sunday night.
After Vick went down I was expecting to see Vince Young trot out onto the field. Instead, Mike Kafka took the reigns of the proud Eagle because he's been hampered by a leg injury. However, at that moment I said to myself, "How stupid does Vince Young feel right now?" He could still be the man in Tennessee playing every down. However, he's the man sitting next to the man sitting next to the man bruh! All of that talent and he's riding the pine! My point here is, he shouldn't have even been in Philly in the first place.
Many folks will argue that he was done in Tennessee anyway. Well, he was only done in Nashville because of his behavior and not his ability to win games or play the position. Remember the incident when he was booed by the fans and he took off later that evening with a gun? His mom called the police because she couldn't find him etc. Then last year he stormed off of the field after tearing a ligament in his thumb pulling his uniform off and throwing it into the stands. Only to later disrespect Coach Fischer and his team by leaving the stadium in the middle of a team post-game meeting!
One of the most talented guys in the league is sitting on the bench because he's known for throwing tantrums. I'm not saying that he's not playing because of his behavior but he really isn't playing because of his behavior. Mike Vick is the starter in Philly and he should still be in Nashville. If Vince would have handled his previous job in Tennessee with some respect he wouldn't even be in Philly and I wouldn't be talking about him right now.
Talent is only 10% of the equation in life. Diligence is the X-factor that makes up the other 90%. There are so many people that end up wasting the gifts that God has blessed them with because they never understand that they have to respect it. There is no reason Vince Young shouldn't be a starter in the National Football League. He has all of the physical tools to get the job done.
However, his behavior has him sidelined whether people want to admit that or not. How many times during your lifetime have you met talented people that never accomplish their goals. They have all of the tools but just can't seem to get it done. If you pay close attention to them you'll see the same pattern. They have taken the gift for granted and seemed to have tried to bypass the natural order of doing things.
There is an equation that we all must follow in order to become successful in our respective fields and most importantly in our lives. Pay close attention to this! You have to first of all respect the game(life) then respect the gift(your talent) and be humble enough to let someone that knows more than you teach you more. Wisdom is something that you can only receive after you’ve had some experience.
Hopefully Vince will learn a valuable lesson from this experience and will be able to bounce back like Mike has. I'm sure sitting on the bench watching Mike and then Kafka play has been an eye opener. Never take for granted the God given talent that you possess because if you don't respect it he won’t allow you to continue to use it.
Holla At Ya Boy!